Dear Hawley Parents and Students,
MATH SUPERSTARS IS BACK FOR ALL GRADES!
The Hawley PTA is delighted to continue the Math Superstars enrichment program again this year! Math Superstars is a completely voluntary, critical thinking program that gives parents and students the opportunity to work together at home on fun math problems throughout the school year. The program is great for encouraging parent/child teamwork, practicing math skills, learning to approach problem-solving situations and strengthening the tie between home and school. Here is how it works:
- Every Friday, parents and kids can go to the Hawley PTA website and download the week’s sheet (see attached for suggested schedule).
- Each student has one week to work on the problems and complete as many as possible. Please keep in mind that there will be problems requiring skills that the student may not have mastered. Work together, but try to have the child take the lead in developing a solution as much as possible. If possible, try to have your child describe what steps he or she might take in an effort to solve the problem.
- The student is responsible for handing in the worksheet by the following Friday. (If your child needs more time, that’s fine. The schedule is a suggestion in order to complete the program timely.) Please be sure that his/her name is on the work.
- The worksheets have no impact on the students’ grades. To emphasize, participation in this program is completely voluntary.
- No credit is ever deducted for partially completed sheets, however no credit will be given for missed weeks.
- A parent volunteer will correct the worksheets and record the completion stars on a chart posted outside the lunch room.
- This program runs throughout the school year for 25 weeks.
- Kindergarten worksheets (only 10 worksheets) can be handed in beginning in February, but please sign up now!
If your family would like to participate in Math Superstars, please complete the registration form (attached) and return it to your child’s teacher by September 30th. The first worksheet can be downloaded by Friday, October 7th.
Please feel free to contact me with your comments and questions. Have fun working with YOUR Math Superstar!
Theresa Diaspro, Coordinator
Download letter and registration form [here]